Thursday, May 7, 2009

My best friend

Its 2:12 pm, I definitely remember.
I was 9 steps away from the TV.
We were watching a show about sharks
The one we were not supposed to.

Abby was slow and purring
The way she gets when I give her all my food.
Suddenly there is knocking
There is not supposed to be knocking.

I want my mummy
Or is it she outside?
I raise myself off the couch
Walk 34 steps towards the door.

At the 14th step I stop
The knocks are getting louder
Like a hammer ramming into my brain
Abby and I know then it’s not mummy.

Foreboding shadows loitering outside the door
Abby rubs herself at my legs, slow and purring
The way she gets when she knows I am afraid
But she struts ahead brave and sure.

I follow her trail
I am 11 steps away from the door
When Abby raises her head
Scratches at the door and roars like a lion.

Its 2:27 pm I clearly remember
When Abby puts me to bed
She licks her paws
And places herself next to my wild beating heart.

No comments: